Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Better, Faster, Stronger


            When we were first asked to think of something that would make the world a better place I automatically thought of the cheesy quote from Miss Congeniality, “world peace.” Though I do think this is extremely important I thought it would be more valuable and interesting to talk about something different: sports. Watching sports games is one of America’s greatest pass times, but what about playing sports? As a kid, I tried almost any sport I possibly could (within the range of my mother’s budget of course). After years of being involved in multiple sports teams, I decided to play both lacrosse and swimming at the collegiate level. Both sports are very different but have taught me valuable lessons that I think would benefit a lot of people.
            So, my proposal is that everyone should be involved in some sort of physical fitness activity. This is asking quite a lot, and will not be easy, but is possible and could better many lives. Like I said earlier, I personally participate in two completely different sports, but enjoy them both very much and have learned beneficiary things from both. Lacrosse is a new and coming team sport (for those of you who don’t know, it’s the one where people run around with sticks and throw the ball into the net). Team sports such as lacrosse teach people many valuable lessons such as how to work with others to reach a common goal, how to motivate others and yourself and push each other past your limits and it gives people the opportunity to feel what it’s like to be a part of something bigger. Swimming is more of an individual sport. Yes, there are relays when people take turns swimming their butts off, but swimming is very much an individual sport. Swimming teaches you lessons that you can’t necessarily learn in a classroom. Above all, swimming and individual sports encourage self-motivation and teach people how to push themselves, believe in themselves, and want to be their best. As my Coach says far too often, “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.” Swimming and other individual activities teach you how to motivate yourself.
            In addition to all of the previously mentioned benefits of physical fitness, there is a more obvious very important reason to exercise: to benefit your health. Physical fitness is beneficial to people of all ages. It is proven to make you feel better and makes your body healthier both internally and externally. Okay, I may be slightly addicted to exercise, but please keep in mind I’m not saying you have to do something extreme like run a marathon or an iron man or be a professional athlete. All I’m saying is some sort of physical fitness, whether it be taking a long walk by yourself or a Zumba class with all of your friends, will benefit your life.
            How can we do this? Perhaps the best way is to start with children and work our way to adults. PE is required at most schools now. In addition, kids should be required to join a sports team or fitness club at their school. Having fitness clubs can be a lot less intimidating for young kids and a lot more fun. We need to encourage children that exercise is something fun to do! As kids get older it becomes a bit more difficult because some people simply aren’t interested in playing a sport. Since this may be the case for many, we need to spread awareness of all sorts of activities rather than just the typical football or soccer to spark peoples’ interests. Once kids turn into teenagers and young adults, they start to be more aware of their physical health. We need to spread more awareness of all of the benefits of physical activities, not just with your physical health but socially, emotionally and cognitively too. I know this isn’t something that can change over night, but I truly think people would be happier if they had more physical activity in their daily routine.


4 comments:

  1. I am all for physical fitness and exercise and I agree that we need a broader definition to help encourage people to do what is fun and motivating for them. In one of the schools I attended, everyone was required to participate in a team sport. However, they didn't count dance, so those of us who were part of the school's dance groups (we had ballet, tap, modern, and jazz) also had to figure out how to participate on a team. Neither the coaches nor the dance teachers were willing to give much leeway in terms of scheduling, so we were constantly late, or missing one practice or another, or injuring ourselves because of conflicting stretching/warm-up advice. It made me (and some of the other dancers) kind of resentful, I have to admit! Thankfully, they did change the policy and we were allowed to count dance as our "team." Because I was allowed to do what I truly enjoyed instead of something I really didn't, I was much healthier and happier. This is still true for me now - I don't play any sports, but the Japanese drumming that I do is very physical and keeps me very active!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and disagree with some parts of your proposal! I think it would be pretty cool to encourage everyone to do some kind of physical activity and definitely emphasize that they should do what they feel comfortable with (like taking a walk.)
    I think I disagree with making team sports mandatory though. That's something I would have been very uncomfortable with in high school both because I prefer solitary exercise myself (I like to run but dislike people watching me so track and field would not be an option) and because I had pretty severe asthma growing up and I'm not sure I would be able to work out at a level that team sports requires. I'm worried about what would happen to the students that have medical problems like I did.
    Overall though, I think exercise can be a great thing as long as someone is comfortable doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of requiring physical exercise for everyone in school. Physical health is just as important as mental health and school should be reinforcing both of these components. The addition of including the team aspect a requirement makes the idea even more attractive. While I do agree that some people would favor individual exercise and would get the same physical benefits, teamwork is a very important skill to learn regardless of whether you are introverted or extroverted. Teamwork is necessary in school and in virtually every job. Participating in team sports could help with social skills that would become very useful in one's career. A world that could communicate better would be much more efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Laura, I think making team sports mandatory may go a little far, as I know that when I was forced to do team sports in middle school everyone just got pissed at me for being awful. Competition apparently gets to be far more important than simply exercising. However, I do think this is a great idea. There are many ways now to get exercise, so the excuses should work less. Hopefully that would also lead to more people biking instead of driving?

    ReplyDelete