Monday, February 9, 2015

Am I in Sunday School?

When I first started reading “Rule of St. Benedict” I could have sworn I had accidentally picked up the Bible. While reading Chapter Four, I felt like I was back in Sunday school reading the Ten Commandments, except instead of ten there is a list of 72 “instruments of good work”. Just to be a little different from everyone else, I thought I’d highlight some of the points St. Benedict made that I actually really like (yes there are many that remind me of the City of God and I am not completely in favor of, but there were quite a lot of points that I thought would make a sufficient society). For starters, how about no meat? Addie? In Chapter 39 he says, “Let all abstain entirely from eating the flesh of four-footed animals.” In addition, he says that people should not over-indulge. Though some may see this as people not eating enough, I see it as a good thing. Perhaps it’s hard to understand because in our culture today people eat quite a lot and obesity is rapidly increasing, but eating just enough would help people stay healthy and make sure everyone gets food.
            Now let’s talk about social structure. Yes, people have certain jobs to obtain to, but there isn’t really much of a power imbalance. The young are to respect their elders, but they are not necessarily less important in the society. Early on in the chapter one he says, “whether slaves or free, we are all one in Christ.” This being said, everyone is on somewhat of an equal playing field, at least more so than in St. Augustine’s version of society. He also says, “let no one in the monastery follow his own heart’s fancy” (Chapter 3). Benedict believes that rather than doing his or her own will, everyone must do the will of God. I suppose this takes away individuality, but at the same time, if the Utopia of the afterlife is something everyone in the society is striving for, wouldn’t it make sense to work together to achieve it? And if everyone does similar things and shares the same beliefs wouldn’t that make it easier too?

            Back to the Utopia real quick…does Benedict ever use the words “Heaven” or “afterlife”? I could be completely mistaken and oblivious, but I did not see these words appear in the text, at least not frequently. Yes, the Abbess “hold[ing] the place of Christ in the monastery” makes us aware that there is some other place where God must be, but Benedict doesn’t really mention Heaven itself (he refers to living for God but never says exactly where God lives). I couldn’t tell if this was just supposed to be common sense (that he is talking about Heaven) or if perhaps it was purposeful. He never really mentions that there is a place that they are hoping to get to, rather that they are just living for God. Is Utopia Heaven? Can there be a Heaven without a Hell?

2 comments:

  1. Even though St. Benedict does not really mention heaven explicitly in the text, I think that we are to assume that heaven is the ultimate goal. Since much of the text comes from the bible, as you noticed, this would make sense. I also like the idea of regulating the food so that everyone gets the proper amount. because of that policy, no one would go hungry in the community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree about not over-indulging. Especially in our current society, moderation really isn't a thing. Portions are way larger than they need to be and it's gross. If we cut down the portions to an actually moderate amount, filling but not bloating, then there would be a ton of extra food to pass around.

    Outside of that, I do like your question about Utopia as Heaven with a necessarily Hell. It does seem like in order to make things work, someone has to be doing the almost hellish hard labor. In the Utopia in "Utopia," I would classify Hell as the place where the prisoners have to go. What is Hell in our normal mythology? The place where the bad people go. In Utopia it's basically the same thing. It's not necessarily fire and brimstone, the worst thing ever, but it's definitely a punishment/darker side of the Utopian society.

    ReplyDelete