Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Back To The Present



There is so much going on in the two readings for today.—so much, in fact, that I couldn’t decide on only one subject. Instead, I’m going to list a few areas which caught my attention and write briefly about each. 

1)      In Morrison’s reading, I was hoping to hear more about the time period this young man has awoken to. I can look at our society and government today and decide that things need to change. Therefore, I know that the time which this man came from needed a major change, and don’t really want a review of why. Instead, I want the major differences are now. We get some of that in a few of the chapters, but the longest chapter is mostly back-story. 

2)      While we’re on the subject of chapters, I must say that they were relatively short. But when it came to the chapters of history, they became so boring that they felt as if they lasted for the same amount of time that the protagonist was asleep! 

3)      Diction. It is clear that the language in which this was written was way off the mark. When Morris finally indicates that the protagonist has been dropped in the 2000s, I was confused as to the reason why they were speaking in such a manner. I soon had an “ahh-hah” moment when I realized that Morris could have only imagined people speaking in the same way they spoke when he wrote the book. Similarly, Bellamy’s manner of conducting the dialogue is also a bit outdated. It would be fun to see a version of these books in which the protagonist speaks in this outdated manner, while the other characters speak in whatever the authors would have imagined to be the change in vernacular.

4)      On page 79 in Bellamy’s text, he talks about the way the society decided to change. This makes me wonder whether our society will ever reach a point in which everyone supports a common approach/need for change. It seems impossible to think of a world that is so far beyond working successfully as a unit that, without violence, they unite with a shared goal.

5)      Both protagonists seem to find the most appalled—and sometimes judgmental—interviewees to speak with. When asking simple questions about the change in government or societal standards, the character will often exclaim things like, “in heaven’s name,” or, “no, no.” It makes me sympathize with our main character. How was he supposed to know?! He’s only trying to better understand the world he has woken up to—I feel like people should try and cut them some slack.

 http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.business2community.com%2Fcontent-marketing%2F5-lessons-content-back-future-2-01123655&ei=9nfsVNPTFIGrgwTop4CgCg&bvm=bv.86475890,d.eXY&psig=AFQjCNE3AJYmPXOngp6V_SIxB5wuLtChDw&ust=1424869719043701


2 comments:

  1. I thought it was so funny that these books looked into the future at the 2000s. Its crazy to think this time was an unfathomable future at some point. I guess that's what people will say about our futuristic science fiction novels. I'm glad these readings had more of a fiction novel feel to them, but I do agree that the history sections got a bit tedious. I didn't really think about the dialogue until you mentioned it here, but that's a really good point. These authors made a lot of conjectures about the future, but didn't account for changes in speech. Come to think of it, authors who write futuristic novels today still don't account for those kinds of changes. Really, language is probably what will change the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be interesting to see what the authors would have thought of society today. The 2000s that they imagined is very different from what 2000s are really like. They would be clueless on the meaning of some of our vocabulary. Haha, “#swag”, “YOLO”, “bae”

    I wonder if it is possible for everyone to unite for a single cause as well. Unfortunately, I think it would take a major disaster for this happen. For example, when 9/11 and Pearl Harbor happened, nationalism was at all-time high, because we were united as a country against an enemy.

    (P.S. I like the Back to the Future picture!)

    ReplyDelete