Sunday, January 25, 2015

Shut Up, Socrates



      While reading “The Republic,” I couldn’t help but to be distracted by the three men contributing to the dialogue. In fact, during the entire section on the ways in which music should be limited, I was thinking, “If Socrates doesn’t shut up soon, I swear I am going to refuse to complete this reading assignment.”
I’m simultaneously annoyed and intrigued by the way he handles his conversation with Adeimantus and Glaucon. You see, Socrates is someone who is desperate to display his own intelligence—fixated on preserving/creating a particular image for himself; one of knowledge and respect. We all know someone like this. Or, at least I do. And I’ve got to say, listening to someone babble on and flaunt their sophistication isn’t much better than reading about someone doing the same thing.
       What angered me the most about the dialogue wasn’t Socrates’ lines, but Adeimantus and Galucon’s. I stopped reading their responses to Socrates about two pages into the reading. I didn’t need it. I knew exactly what they were going to say. In fact, Plato could have made this into one long lecture by Socrates, and he could have cut at least five pages. What’s the point of having a conversation with someone if they are only going to agree with every single thing you say? That isn’t a conversation—that’s a soliloquy.
http://kateswaffer.com/2012/06/27/socrates/

      If Socrates truly believed that he knew nothing, I don’t think he would have spoken so condescendingly to the others.
      Once I made it past Socrates’ unpleasant manner, I was able to focus more on the “Utopia” these men are attempting to create. I was following the logic of their society up until they spoke about the necessity of encouraging men and women not to show their emotions (63). The judgment that today’s society aims toward individuals who are not afraid to show how they feel , was born from this kind of thinking. If they are attempting to create a community which is just, they are unwise to assume that having to hide your emotions in order to be seen as self-sufficient, is fair.
      As for the concept of death, I wonder whether it would be more helpful NOT to avoid the subject around the young member of the city. Death can be a scary concept, yes, but isn’t it scarier to avoid the subject as a whole? Wouldn’t that teach children to dread death even more?
      I need some help with page 79. I got the feeling that Socrates is trying to approach the subject of pedophilia. Am I completely wrong in assuming so? If I’m not crazy, and he is indeed speaking about a music teacher becoming involved with a student, I must say that Socrates comes about it in a rather odd sort of way. I was surprised to see that it was a matter of defining love which leads Socrates to determine the wrongfulness in this type of relationship. I get the sense that he is saying true love for poetry and fine arts does not include love for a young boy. And if you find that to be the type of love you stumble upon, than you are not a real lover of music or art.
      Socrates did get a few things right though. On page 86, he reviews the importance of maintaining physical and mental health. This is something so many of us wrote about in our first blog posts. Physical and mental health are the keys to a happy individual life, and a happy life as a society. I think Plato could have added a little more on this subject, and a little less on the subject of a music’s permitted meter. 



Work Cited:

Plato, C. J. Emlyn-Jones, and William Preddy. "Book II, Book III." Plato, Republic. N.p.: n.p., n.d. 43-121. Print.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it was tedious to read through Socrates' "minions" constantly agreeing with him.
    I interpreted Socrates' discussion on emotions differently. I thought that he was saying that it would be disdainful for guardians to lament and mourn, and these emotions should be left to cowards and women.
    I do not like how Socrates' addresses the concept of death and courage. He believes that guardians will be courageous if they are oblivious to the concept of death. However, isn't the definition of courage fearing something and overcoming it. How can he expect his soldiers to fight "courageously" if they have no fear of the possibility of death? Wouldn't they be fighting "ignorantly" instead?
    I also thought it was strange that he threw in relationship advice between a man and a boy. I think he was saying that sexual relations should not be for pleasure. Therefore, it would be inappropriate for a man and a boy to engage in sexual relations because then it would be for personal pleasure, which is impure love. Then if you practice impure love, you are not qualified to see the beauty in music and poetry. This message of this section and its’ relation to the rest of the passage confused me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped reading the responses to Socrates' dialogue, too. I think Plato was maybe trying to help his readers buy into Socrates' ideas by being like, "oh, hey, look at all the people who agree with him." I found it annoying, so it actually did the opposite for me. I wanted someone to contradict so I could see Socrates defend his ideas and really explain why he was right. Instead, the text was just an informative piece when I think proposing a utopia needs to be a persuasive one. Since not everyone has the same ideas about utopia, Plato really needed to make his character explain and convince his companions so that we, as an audience, could be convinced as well. I know that I was definitely not convinced by most of what Socrates proposed. Defining details as minute as metrical rhythm in music and poetry seems nonsensical to me. I was also really uncomfortable with his idea of sexual relations between a teacher and a student because of the age difference. It did seem like he was promoting pedophilia and while that sort of thing might have been more acceptable in Plato's society, as a modern reader, I was horrified and in need of some more convincing (although, he really wouldn't be able to get me to agree with that).

    ReplyDelete