Thursday, January 22, 2015

It's All Relative

“What would you change to make the world a better place?  And how can that change be implemented?”
            The answer to this question is one that I have been struggling with since it was posed in class yesterday.  Sure, there are plenty of answers; coming up with one is the easy part.  The hard part of this question, the part that has been nagging at me for the last two days, is how to implement the change that I believe this world desperately needs.  My original answer in class was to create an increased understanding of people, ideas, environments, and lifestyles.  While I still believe that this would be an effective change and that if it could be implemented it would in fact improve our world, I continue to find myself struggling with the “How?.”  The more I think about the “How?” the more I find my thoughts drifting to the idea of perspective.  For this reason, I am changing my response from class a bit and this post will focus on the importance of perspective and how awareness of perspective and a conscious effort to keep an objective perspective will help make this world a better place.
            I found that I was drawn to the idea of increased understanding because I am constantly upset about the lack of respect and regard people have for those around them.  Today’s society is very individualized.  People make decisions based on whether they will benefit or whether they will enjoy what they are doing.  Gone are the days when we helped out our neighbors or walked an elderly person across the street.  No one has the time or patience for that anymore, and that is sad.  The idea of perspective comes in when we discuss how this increased understanding and regard for our fellow humans comes about.  I believe that a world where everyone shared an unbarred and objective perspective would be a happier one.  If people could and would put themselves willingly in someone else’s shoes, there would be far less prejudice and an increased understanding of what those around us face on a daily basis.  This willingness to look at a situation through someone’s eyes that aren’t their own doesn’t come over night.  It takes someone who has worked to develop their understanding of their perspective- someone who is willing to make a change for the better.  This change, if made by all, will work to effectively eliminate hate, prejudice, poverty, and war. 
            Originally, I had the idea that this effort would begin with a select few that made the choice to help change this world, but as I thought more about implementation, I realized that there was no way that my strategy would initiate any change at all.  Instead, I have decided that our society should implement a policy where a half hour every day is set aside for reflection.  This reflection time could take many forms- journaling, meditating, deep thinking, whatever- but during this time, people must make a conscious effort to put themselves in someone else’s shoes- to deepen their understanding of perspective- until, little by little, that reflection and that acknowledgement of the humanity of those around them enters into their everyday thoughts and actions.  I believe that, as a society, we can be trained to be kinder and more accepting.  I believe that we have the potential to truly make this world a better place, and I believe that the seed for that change is in each and every one of us, but due to cultural norms, we must work to surmount the obstacles in our path and take the time to change ourselves and the world by changing our perspectives.

            

4 comments:

  1. I've watched this happen - it seems to me that this problem has increased exponentially since cell phones became ubiquitous. It's easier for us to be in our own bubbles now, wherever we go. We are less aware of those around us and how our actions affect others because we are focused on the call/text/email from someone otherwhere or the music we want to listen to, or...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dr. MB that the problem seems to stem from technology. As technology becomes advanced and makes it easier to connect, it actually drives us further apart. We no longer know how to hold a conversation without stopping to check our phone every few minutes or how to enjoy a moment without making sure to freeze frame it on Instagram or Facebook. Brenna, I think a little reflection can go a long way. I agree that it needs to be something for everyone to do instead of a small group of people. When it's a small group, people are quick to judge or mock that small group and its belief system, however, if everyone is required to change and think for a little bit every day, their perspectives will begin to change together. People need to become less self-absorbed and learn to appreciate each other and what other people have to offer the world. All too often, we find ourselves asking "why me?" and complaining about the hand that life has dealt us, when typically, we could be suffering from a lot worse. I think if we take the time to get to know other people and their struggles we will become more grateful for our lives and opportunities and will strive to help others feel just as comfortable in their lives. Appreciation and reflection can go a long way and can drive people to want to change the world voluntarily instead of thinking of change as a burden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true, technology certainly doesn't help anyone who was already predisposed to being antisocial; I'd say most people are more likely to film the old lady getting hit by a car than they are to help her get across the intersection.

    Unfortunately, I just don't know that there's any real way to enforce a change as general as "be better people." While the idea is something always to strive for, too many people would just ignore their reflection time, use it to work, or reflect on themselves rather than what they could do for others.

    This could, however, be implemented in elementary schools or something, when kids have no choice but to sit in the class. Maybe have them keep journals and do a short little daily reflection on how they could help better themselves and those around them. Maybe if we get 'em young enough, they'll make it a habit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with you, Brenna, that people do seem to have a rather poor attitude regarding to helping and interacting with others. I know personally, I used to be a much more judgemental person and it has taken a lot of conscious effort to get where I am now (a still slightly judgemental, but more open minded individual). That is the problem you elluded to in your post; how do we get people to want themselves to change? How do we get others to want to become more patient and understanding human beings?

    So many think that the way we currently live our lives is flawed. How many times do we hear the laments at the death of an age prior to the supposed "me me me" generation? It is crazy how many of us realize that our society is flawed, but then how much of it does not change. I think you're right. Change has to come from an individual. I also agree, this is very hard to implement. I agree also with AJ, that perhaps making the reflection time a part of a school day would be good and to start the habits young. Teaching the youth in a way that will foster good behavior in the future is the way to go. I think all we can hope for for the current adult population is to try to appeal to their already made up minds and plant the seed of change.

    ReplyDelete