Thursday, January 22, 2015

Tell your boyfriend if he says he’s got beef that I’m a vegetarian and I ain’t fuckin’ scared of him

To take a step toward a better utopia, everybody would be a vegetarian. This would solve lots of issues (although undoubtedly while causing others, but isn’t that why utopia is unattainable?). I’m not a vegetarian, but I don’t like meat other than bacon, chicken, and turkey. It has nothing to do with it being pork or whatever. Bacon tastes nothing like pork chops and that will never change. That covers the question I get about 48 times a year of “you like bacon but not pork chops? You know that’s still pork right?” I don’t care. I like to imagine that my bacon originates from the package it came to me in. Likewise with chicken and turkey. Now that we’ve settled that, allow me to tell you that I am fully willing to live without it and I believe it could save many people. There would be less obesity from the obscene amount of bacon people consume. We have a beer and bacon festival for God’s sake. THAT would not happen (unfortunate, I know.) Allow me to show you something called epic meal time:

 

Enough said. Now, assuming the society follows my later stated guidelines, there would be a much lesser vitamin deficiency of all kinds, particularly vitamin B which is found in leafy greens like spinach. Everyone should eat spinach. Lots of it. With everything. Now allow me to show you the super-realistic results of spinach consumption:


I repeat, enough said. Animals would be happy-go-luck. There would be no need to weapons, since we wouldn’t need to kill animals for food. Since no one would have weapons, there would be no need to have them for self-defense or protection from them. If you feel the need to protect yourself, get some pepper spray.

An entire utopia cannot be realized. Even a single piece that makes utopia cannot happen, because all of the population must be on the same page, and this just doesn’t happen. It would require a single person or group of people with endless amounts of power over all things, and therefore can only be achieved by force, threats, and violence. While utopia cannot be accomplished/maintained in an acceptable way, certain changes that progress toward Utopia may be considered. I do not wish to go about making everyone vegetarians through violent threats. Achieving this would inevitably end in the slaughter of all animals aside from humans so that the population of anything else would not exist, which is more gruesome than the slaughter of any in the first place for a food source. I realize I’m ranting about how it just isn’t possible, and we all know that. But I wanted to acknowledge on a simple basis why. Now that I have, I suppose I’ll imagine the strong-feeling vegetarians and animal rights activists of the world have gained world domination and give it a shot. I really want to go 1984 style and just brainwash the heck out of everyone, but I won’t.

You can’t require someone who doesn’t want to be somewhere to respect and follow the normal way of life there. For example, if a girl doesn’t want to go to college but does so because her parents “make” her, she will most likely resent the fact that she’s there and rebel, therefore breaking guidelines and disrupting peace. Since utopia doesn’t require the entire planet necessarily to be a part of it, a group of people with the common belief of being vegetarian could create a community in which they establish practices and an agreed upon detailed outline of how to live their lives. In this community there would be no slaughter of animals. It would require a doctor or nutritionist so the population wouldn’t become malnourished. There would need to be education on how to be a vegetarian. Many people would have to grow crops so there would be plenty for a market, so the community will not go hungry.

I guess while I’m writing this I just can’t get past my belief that without violence and protest and everything of the sort, any single practice across humanity cannot be achieved. So I’m really struggling to brainstorm a way in which it can be done, especially across a large population. Maybe that’s the point. Can an attained utopia among a small collective group of people be considered utopia? Maybe, I don’t know.

3 comments:

  1. I think your closing question is an important one. At what level of society does change have to happen in order for it to "count"? How small of a community can you have and still be a "real" community? If a group of 6 people who live in a community house all share a set of values and principles, is that enough for change to begin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've touched on a very fundamental question about Utopias: how do we create a society when people disagree on what a society should be like? One possibility is to offer peace and prosperity to those who conform to your values, and penalties to those who don't (the carrot and the stick).

    The other possibility, of course, is to assume that everyone thinks like you, which is albeit less realistic, but surprisingly frequent in Utopian literature. After all, what do people in Cockayne do with those who are lactose intolerant? It doesn't say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your idea of making a small community of vegetarians rather than making the whole world vegetarian (I love chicken) because I feel like that's more realistic. As you said, creating a utopia across the whole world would be impossible because people have different beliefs and ways of living. While I think a utopia focuses on a functioning society, how can a society function if its members don't agree on how to make it function?
    I also think it's smart to question on what level a society becomes a utopia. How wide-spread does a group have to be to make it a utopia? I don't know if that's a question that has an answer.

    ReplyDelete