Tuesday, February 3, 2015

I prefer the "Utterly Delusive" Philosophers, Tbh.

The question was put forward of to what extent do we have to have bad things in order to have the good? Maybe in order to recognize something at "good" a person has to experience what we deem as "bad," but I'm not so sure that you have to have bad for there to be good. If something is good, it is because it is so, not because something bad says it is. Things do exist by opposition, but that's only really for analytic purposes.  Augustine says we can have a good place without bad, but not a bad place without any good. Even though some of his arguments might come off as pessimistic, I think this is the basis for a lot of what he says.

There is a difference between happy and fulfilled. I think he would argue that in order for a person to have a fulfilled life on earth, he/she absolutely does have to have the bad with the good. To get a full human experience, we have to experience every emotion and go through struggles and experience the ups as well. Happiness however, cannot be achieved on earth completely because Augustine says if we don't have faith in a better world after our existence on earth is over, we're settling for less, even if what we settle for makes us completely happy because he believes there is eternal bliss in Heaven and if you're Christian, you will go there. But, if I genuinely do all I can with what power I have as a person, and I'm happy with that, I don't see how I'm settling for less. I think I would be losing happiness by waiting for it to find me after I die rather than discovering what it is to my fullest potential while I'm alive.

I disagree with a lot of his religious stances. Partly because I'm not religious, and partly because I spent my last semester writing a 20 page paper on humanism and its importance. So, I lean toward striving to achieve all we can while we have what we KNOW to be, rather than living for a life we HOPE will come later. Disregarding heaven as a post-life destination doesn't doom a person's happiness. In fact, I would argue that it enhances it. Believing in going to heaven after we die is a hope. Nobody knows. Can we really BE happy if we spend life HOPING for happiness and eternal bliss instead of finding what creates happiness? It's like relying on something else to fill a void that we don't try hard enough to fill ourselves on earth. Rather than saying, 'this is the way it is because that's the way God intended it to be, but I wish it were different," why not go and do something about it? What is so wrong with trying to achieve the happiest level of human existence as a human being?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete


  2. I really enjoyed reading your post. I think we have different views especially during this class, but I really agree with "Maybe in order to recognize something at "good" a person has to experience what we deem as 'bad.'" I think that you can have good, but in order to really know what good is or for a person to truly cherish what they have, they have to have some bad. You stated that you are not religious, but I think that religious people do not HOPE for a better life after they pass on, but because their faith is so strong, they know that no matter how good of a life they have now, a better one will come along. I believe with being Christian, a person does not hope for Christ to be there or hope God is listening to their prayers and watching over them, but they KNOW absolutely that God or Christ will be there. If they are hoping, their faith is wavering. I think that is what Augustine would argue about. So, although I do not agree with your point, I think it is a very good one and it really gets people thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your post a lot, and I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I also don't think that striving for happiness on earth rather than waiting for happiness in heaven is settling. If you find something that makes you completely happy, how is that a settlement? I think you settle if you decide to wait for happiness to come from solely one thing that you might not obtain rather than tangible things on earth.
    I also really like your point that in order to have a fulfilled life you have to experience a wide array of emotions. I don't think you can fully experience happiness with a little bit of the bad stuff. Therefore, I don't agree with your idea that something is good because it is so. I think something is good because there's something out there that is a bad counterpart to it. I think you do need one in order to have the other.

    ReplyDelete