Saturday, February 7, 2015

Please Feed Them!



     PHEW! I knew I made the right decision in not becoming a Nun. Now I am certain that I would never have been able to follow the rules of the monastery. 

     Right off the bat, I’d like to start with a statement that I hope does not offend any of my classmates, for it is merely an opinion/question that I would like some explanation to: 

     I have never understood the concept of fearing a god. 

     When it comes to religion, I have always been under the impression that a god is a figure who is worshiped for the love he/she generously gives to all human beings. Throughout this “Rule of St. Benedict” reading, I have been wondering whether things would work better, if members of the monastery were not afraid. There are so many great concepts within this text, starting with the prologue. When the narrator is speaking of making it to heaven, he states, “we must run to it by good deeds/ or we shall never reach it.” I agree whole-heartedly with this piece of advice. It is the writing that follows, which makes me second-guess what has already been said.




      Beginning in chapter 23, we start to get a glimpse of the consequences that follow rule-breakers. I have never given the act of punishment a thought when it came to monasteries. Before this reading, I assumed that there would not be a punishment for those who chose not to follow rules, or those who chose to leave the monastery. I assumed that the members and “bosses” of the school would follow the same rules that are given to us in chapter 4. For instance, rule number three states that you should not commit murder, yet, in chapter 28, we are told that an Abbess must kill a sister who continues to go against the monastery’s orders.

    What happened to rule number 30?: “To do no wrong to anyone, and to bear patiently wrongs done to oneself.” 

    OR rule number 32: “Not to curse those who curse us, but rather to bless them.” 

    Pardon me for my criticism, but this doesn’t seem fair! Or just! 


http://www.dominicanablog.com/wp-content/themes/striking_r/cache/images/3894_608px-Giotto_-_Scrovegni_-_-27-_-_Expulsion_of_the_Money-changers_from_the_Temple-628x346.jpg?968c47

   You see, I started this reading completely happy with sentences that tell us:

To help in trouble (Rule #18)
To become a stranger to the world’s ways (#20)
Not to forsake charity (#26) 
 
     Then, I read about the killing of sisters who disagreed with the way the monastery was being run, I heard about the starvation the brethren (etc.) endured whenever the Abbess felt it necessary, and the rules against speaking, even when you have something good to say. 

    This reading made me angry—very, very angry. 

    But I need to get to more important things before this blog is up. So, I must turn your attention to my biggest concern within the reading. A concern which I have alluded to in previous paragraphs. A concern which hearts my soulless ginger soul to consider—the lack of eating. 

    I don’t think I will ever understand the concept of fasting. Our bodies were meant to be fueled by food, and will only be damaged by the deprivation of this important energy source. 

    Yes, I could be bias. I am proud to admit that my entire day revolves around food. But even given that fact, I would not describe myself as over-indulgent (because if so, I would surely burn in hell. But also because I wouldn’t consider my diet to be gluttonous). 

     I know, I know, it’s not like the monastery was starving the children and the old. BUT THEY WERE STILL STARVING EVERYONE ELSE! 

     I’m going to have to be sure to pack snacks for Tuesday’s class, because I think I’ll need to emotionally eat my way through this upcoming discussion.

2 comments:

  1. I think its pretty common for religious texts to make some of us angry. I don't mean that offensively at all, but many religious doctrines have a lot of controversial concepts. When reading these rules, I couldn't help but feel that some of them existed to establish complete control over the monks. For example, the not talking: it prevents them from asking questions and discussing religious matters, sort of forcing them to adhere to the beliefs that St. Benedict dictated. These rules make sure that everything the monks do is completely scheduled out, limiting expression of free will. And, like you pointed out, if you disagreed you were excommunicated--ostracized from the life and the people that you know. I think that's why these people feared God. The monks' way of life made sure that they lost everything if they didn't follow this doctrine exactly the way it was written. I think that's what made me the angriest. St. Benedict's rules seemed more like threats rather than the perpetuation of love that I like to associate with the idea of a god.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At times I was shocked by the severity of the rules and punishments were for these monks. I felt that they were also being hypocritical. For example, Rule #52 is “To guard one’s tongue against evil and depraved speech.” However, earlier in the text they were trash talking about the other kinds of monks. On the topic of fasting and why people do it, I personally did a 24 hour fast with my youth group (and soon after pigged out at an IHOP), and it was fairly difficult because I love to eat as well. But the reason that we did it was to be in solidarity with those in the world who do not have food. During our fast, we learned about the conditions people lived in and what they have to do to get water and food on a daily basis. We also raised money by getting sponsors to support our food fast which we donated to an organization which helps provided food and water to those who live who are starving.

    ReplyDelete